[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #299: Geography ST_Intersection -- check the brain-dead obvious before transformation

PostGIS trac at osgeo.org
Tue Nov 10 18:26:56 PST 2009

#299: Geography ST_Intersection -- check the brain-dead obvious before
transformation
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  robe         |       Owner:  pramsey
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
 Not sure if this is worthwhile to implement in 1.5 so setting as 2.0
 milestone, but in the

 "Think of the children" mindset, I really don't want to field questions
 like

 I did this:

 {{{
 SELECT
 ST_AsText(ST_Intersection(ST_GeographyFromText('SRID=4326;POINT(1.2456
 2.001)'),
                 ST_GeographyFromText('SRID=4326;POINT(1.2456 2.001)')));
 }}}

 and it gave me a different ("POINT(1.2456000000062 2.00099999999996))
 which is a different point than what I started out with. If a point
 intersects an object, shouldn't the intersection be the point?

 Makes me almost wonder if its better to create a geography
 _ST_Intersection function that handles the simple cases like POINTS,
 MULTIPOINTS before falling back on a transform.  That would make it more
 changeable too without requiring an SQL script upgrade.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/299>
PostGIS <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/>