[postgis-devel] 1.4.1rc1

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Nov 24 04:46:47 PST 2009

Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>
>> I built this on an Intel Mac, 10.5.8, via pkgsrc (I am resurrecting the
>> postgis pkg) against postgresql 8.4.  There were various troubles
>> installing the postgis shared library (.dylib), plus a complain about
>> lwgeom static lib being included in a dynamic library.  After working
>> around things by hand I got it to build and pass make check.
>>
>> I have a longer note being composed about the details, but I wanted to
>> mention that there seem to be issues on mac, and to ask if others have
>> been successful building on macs.  Aside from the mixing of .a/.so which
>> seems nonportable, I think all my troubles are about mac shared
>> libraries and pgxs support of those shlibs.

> Anything further on this? There weren't any substantial changes from
> 1.4.0, so these are not new issues. Can we release 1.4.1 now and do
> 1.4.2 later if you bring in patches for pkgsrc builds?

Sorry, I haven't had time to poke further, and I've concluded that my
longer note is a bit confused so I haven't sent it.

postgis support in pkgsrc had decayed, and 1.4.0 was never packaged.
Given that it builds for you on the mac, then I don't think it's at all
reasonable for a release to be delayed.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details, the postgresql82-client package is
installing pgxs.mk and the various Makefiles ok, and I don't understand
how the "Makefile.port" (from "Makefile.darwin") has a shared-library
link variable that works on any build.  I was asking about mac status to
let me focus on whether this was a packaging problem, which it seems to
be, or a never-worked-on-mac problem.

I will post more details when I have time to investigate enough that
it's reasonable for others to look at it.