[postgis-devel] strategy about empty

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Sat Nov 28 07:31:12 PST 2009

I have looked a little at this #294 thing about empty geometries cases

I think some strategy is needed to manage that one because it is big and will need a lot of different discussions I can imagine.
I have looked through a lot of the functions of today, what they give with empty geometries and found some inconsistencies for example:
select ST_NumPoints('POLYGON EMPTY')  returns nothing, while
select ST_NPoints('POLYGON EMPTY') returns 0

I think we in the end will need a matrix with the behavior in different cases with different versions.
Should that be a part of documentation or wiki?

/Nicklas