[postgis-devel] fix for memory leaks in shp2pgsql.c

Dave Fuhry dfuhry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 06:27:38 PDT 2009

Mark,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd like to re-work the patch a little rather than applying it as is - for
> example, it explicitly sets unused references to NULL which is not necessary
> in C (as opposed to a language such as Java).

Yeah, please do rework the patch; the NULL assignments were for me for
debugging, to be sure that no later code was attempting to dereference
a pointer after I had freed its memory.  The
dereference-a-null-pointer attempt would cause an obvious crash.

> In terms of the 1.3 shp2pgsql then I'm not sure that it's the same leak,
> since most of the old shp2pgsql got blown away with the conversion to
> liblwgeom...

Right, I was just mentioning it for reference, I'm sure nobody cares
about the minutiae of 1.3 shp2pgsql anymore.

Thanks,

-Dave