[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] Geog/Geom Hack

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Oct 31 09:27:31 PDT 2009

Steve,
My sentiments exactly.  The only issue I can see with introducing STT is
that it does add potentially a lot of functions we would need to possibly
deprecate or remove in future versions.  Its almost better to just throw
these out there as contrib functions and let people pick the ones they need.

Here is yet another example of why I think Paul's hack is a bleeding
abstraction

Lets suppose you have a huge mass like a continent that no current spatial
ref effectively covers

What exactly does the magical BestSRID function return?

In a true ST_buffer for geography its a non-issue, but since this is a hack,
the answer is clearly wrong and advanced users would approach it differently
perhaps by dicing it,buffer each add union the individual back to geography.

Of course I suppose you could say -- well It's clearly wrong now (for that
1% case), but we can fix it easily under the covers later without people
having to change their code -- which I can only guess is what Paul is
thinking thus my complaints of the effort to take it out he sees as a
non-issue.  To me its covering a baby horse in a big horse costume and
passing it off as a grown up.  You'll start showing it horse porn and it
will start doing ridiculous things with it :)

Then there is the agg ST_Union (how would you do that?) when you can span so
many BEST SRIDs.

Thanks,
Regina