[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] Geog/Geom Hack

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Oct 31 12:40:27 PDT 2009

Jose,

For what its worth, I think the ST_Dwithin for geography takes care of the
ST_Intersects case nicely.  And that for example to me would be a no brainer
overload for ST_Intersects. It will be slower than the geometry
ST_Intersects, but would give the right answer.

The ST_Intersection example also brings up the point of what if the
projected srid you calculate to be the best for each geometry is different?
Or I suppose you would take both into consideration and figure out based on
area or something.  Though that would still not be quite right.

I'm thinking these things have to be analyzed on a per function basis
(rather than a sweeping answer of Yes lets overload everything people
commonly use).

So Paul -- what functions exactly did you have in mind?

Thanks,
Regina