[postgis-devel] Geography on Trunk

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Fri Sep 11 10:24:10 PDT 2009

Devs,

The geography work has now passed a few milestones, in terms of having
instantiable objects, index bindings and simple create/serialize
functions. The work in the sandbox has also proven that the new type
will not require re-working of the existing functionality and can
function as bolt-on code next to the old code. The primary reason for
working in a sandbox was to have the freedom to break core code if
necessary, and it turns out, that was not necessary.

So, I would like to bring the geography sandbox back into trunk. There
are no technical implications that I can see. There is only one
procedural implication, which is that once geography is in, a 1.5
release will probably end up waiting until geography is ready for
general release. The work is being done under contract however, and a
numbered release is supposed to come out before Christmas, so if
anything we would be accelerating the natural release cycle.

Thoughts?

Paul