[postgis-devel] Geography on Trunk

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 03:56:33 PDT 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Devs,
>
> The geography work has now passed a few milestones, in terms of having
> instantiable objects, index bindings and simple create/serialize
> functions. The work in the sandbox has also proven that the new type
> will not require re-working of the existing functionality and can
> function as bolt-on code next to the old code. The primary reason for
> working in a sandbox was to have the freedom to break core code if
> necessary, and it turns out, that was not necessary.
>
> So, I would like to bring the geography sandbox back into trunk. There
> are no technical implications that I can see. There is only one
> procedural implication, which is that once geography is in, a 1.5
> release will probably end up waiting until geography is ready for
> general release. The work is being done under contract however, and a
> numbered release is supposed to come out before Christmas, so if
> anything we would be accelerating the natural release cycle.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Paul

Okay - I think we're done. Most of the merge was handled automatically,
with just a few manual clean-ups required. So any mistakes in the
current trunk are probably mine ;)

Please make sure that you check out trunk from fresh, or do an "svn up"
before continuing to develop on trunk or any of the geodetic code.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk