[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #503: ST_Area on small polygons in EPSG:31467 gives incorrect results depending on 32-/64-system-architecture

PostGIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 15 07:46:57 PDT 2010

#503: ST_Area on small polygons in EPSG:31467 gives incorrect results depending
on 32-/64-system-architecture
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  mjansen  |       Owner:  pramsey
      Type:  defect   |      Status:  new
 Component:  postgis  |     Version:  1.5.X
Resolution:           |    Keywords:
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Comment (by nicklas):

 A few thoughts

 I don't have any 64 bit box with PostGIS here.

 Paul am I right that PostGIS doesn't know anything about 32 or 64 bit.
 That PostgreSQL serves PostGIS with a 32 bit environment. In that case,
 shouldn't it probably be something on the PostgreSQL side. If so,
 shouldn't it affect also other postgis native functions like length and
 distance.

 I suspect that ST_GeomFromEWKT might trig something because otherwise it
 should have been catched it on the regression tests.

 Since the result is the same and not random it is tempting to assume that
 something is happening after the answer is given in area function. If
 something happened before with the incoming values I guess it shouldn't
 give the same answer with different ingoing values.

 /Nicklas

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/503#comment:5>
PostGIS <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/>