[postgis-devel] Oracle SDO_GEOMETRY vs PostGIS WKT

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at deimos-space.com
Wed Aug 25 03:40:23 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Martin Davis <mbdavis at refractions.net> wrote:
> Here's my take:
>
> Yes, reference [2] is the best reference for the true SFS Geometry standard.
>  It's an abstract standard, however.  Each implementation has its own
> idiosyncracies, which can only be understood by reading the implementation
> manuals (and more than likely working with the implementation directly).

Thanks. A lot of reading and hard work to do.

> It's necessary to distinguish between the naming conventions used by
> vendors, and their underlying implementations.  The naming conventions
> reflect an attempt to (more or less) fulfull the requirements of the SFS and
> ISO standards.  But each vendor has a different implementation, which seeks
> to meet the varying marketing goals of the vendor.

I like PostGIS convention, with ST_ prefix.

> Oracle's SDO_GEOMETRY type is more full-featured than is required by SFS,
> which is one reason for its complexity.  Also, it uses existing features of
> the Oracle Object-Relational model, which also means that complexity is
> perhaps more exposed than is desirable.

Ok, then I confirm: Oracle goes beyond the standard, and mix it with
its own object model.

> ESRI recently released their own ST_GEOMETRY type for Oracle, presumably in
> an attempt to both better match the requirements of their other software
> products, as well as having the pleasant side effect of "plugging the leak"
> of spatial data from their walled garden to Oracle's more accessible native
> spatial format.
>
> AFAICS, the Oracle ST_GEOMETRY types are provided in order to increase
> compliance with the SQL/MM standard.

Good idea, I think, after reading the complex format used for SDO_GEOMETRY.

> It's nice to hear that you find the PostGIS ST_GEOMETRY implementation
> easier to work with and more standards compliant.  I think this is the
> result of a phenomenon which occurs in many open-source projects. Having no
> commercial agenda and limited resources means that easiest path is to simply
> follow a standard as closely as possible, and to remove as many rough edges
> as possible.

Yes, I find it simply easier to understand and to use. And fully agree
with you. That's Debian's philosohpy. I like it.

Jorge