[postgis-devel] Oracle SDO_GEOMETRY vs PostGIS WKT

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at deimos-space.com
Wed Aug 25 07:51:31 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Nicklas Avén
<nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no> wrote:
> Andrea
>
> Do you have any answer to Jorges initial question why the Oracle geometry
> representation (sdo_geometry) seems so complicated if it is not about
> topology?

Absolutely clear. Many thanks for the great explanation. Now, I
understand that Oracle uses a "topological storage model", different
to its another model (with SDO_GEOMETRY, for example). Anyway, maybe
the fact Oracle has a topological storage model different to the other
one, is not related with the apparent complication (at least for me)
of the SDO_GEOMETRY format. Or maybe it's not really complicated, or
maybe only Oracle knows the reason...

The fact it's I find working with the "standard" oracle spatial
objects (like SDO_GEOMETRY) more difficult than working with PostGIS
and WKT Raster. Coming from a beginner in both extensions.

> Jorge
>
> As Paul said the storage is something else, but it can not be a topological
> model in the background that "user" never sees. The "user" in this case is
> any client software and the client software is to do editing in one polygon
> it has to be aware of how that effects the neighbor. If the storage is in  a
> topological storage model moving one vertex will need a decision how to
> handle the polygon on the other side of the edge. If it is stored in PostGIS
> you can do whatever you want with one polygon and the neighbor will not be
> affected.

Yep, understood. Thanks again.

> One reason for a topological storage model is maybe speed for analysis and
> processing, but isn't a main reason also a way of keeping the topology
> without a lot of functions searching for holes and so on?

Yes, you're right. Today, I've learnt a new thing :-)

> Is the PostGIS project:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiPostgisTopology
> alive in some way. I see Sandro checked in the readme, is he the author of
> the project?

Ctrl+D

Jorge