[postgis-devel] How does copyright work and how to credit.

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Sat Dec 4 12:00:17 PST 2010

Hallo

The code for line to line distance-calculations that is not yet
comitted is mostly taken from here:
http://softsurfer.com/Archive/algorithm_0106/algorithm_0106.htm

As you can see in the attachment I have not done any big rewriting.

It says on the page with the algorithms that it can be used, but then
they want their copyright to be included.

I don't know how things like this works. I mean I have definitely used
their idea. Is it their idea that is copyrighted or is it their exactly
way of writing it. I mean, I hope it isn't the idea.

And it feels quite silly to rewrite it more than necessarily just to
make it look different.

What I would like to do is to just write a note in a comment that the
algorithm comes from softsurfer.com and can be found at page :
http://softsurfer.com/Archive/algorithm_0106/algorithm_0106.htm

Would that be ok?

Thanks
Nicklas