[postgis-devel] Parser/Emitter Changeover

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Tue Dec 7 13:12:30 PST 2010

The changeover has now happened to the new parser and emitter for WKB/WKT.

All occurrences in ./loader and ./postgis have been flipped to the new versions.

Occurrences in cunit have been left in place for now, so that
backwards compatibility tests can still run for a while.

My only concern while fitting them in was that the to_wkt and to_wkb
functions lack an UNPARSER object to drop more verbose error messaging
into. That said, the verbose errors were there mostly for things like
validity checks on the output, which were all disabled. So...? Anyhow,
it's a point of potential improvement.

I think there is a little bit of re-naming to do over the code base,
to change lwgeom_from_wkt to lwgeom_parse_wkt and create a wrapper
lwgeom_from_wkt with simpler parameters. I also need to read the
float_extra_digits GUC in WKT emitters called inside the backend.

Anyhow, I expect the number of broken things has just taken a sharp
leap upwards.

P.