[postgis-devel] Death to Pointless Operators

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Dec 18 08:59:34 PST 2010

Paul,

Is it really a lot of effort to keep those.  Sadly we have some examples in
our book that use those and I can't change those chapters since they've
already gone to final proofing.

We have on occasion found them useful when we only care about box checks
really fudge factors like basic position of objects relative to another for
say an inventory app.

Where is = in all of this?  It in neither of your keep or remove -- and all
the GROUP BY etc will crumble without =.  I  know it's the same as ~, but
you can't use ~ can you -- doesn't it have to be =.

If you get rid of anything you should really get rid of that ~ -- its just
confusing because it means something completely different as Nicklas
mentioned a while ago (when you are talking about the built-in polygon/point
and I think even pgsphere --

~ means true geometric equality.

I say we keep these -- and BTW all those duplicated functions that cause
code bloat that don't start with ST_ -- put them in a legacy.sql script that
doesn't get installed by default in PostGIS 2.0.

We really want to get rid of all of these because it casues unnecessary
function bloat and confusion as to which one you should be using.

Thanks,
Leo and Regina