[postgis-devel] Death to Pointless Operators

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sun Dec 19 07:32:22 PST 2010

:

>> If you get rid of anything you should really get rid of that ~ -- its
>> just confusing because it means something completely different as
>> Nicklas mentioned a while ago (when you are talking about the
>> built-in polygon/point and I think even pgsphere --
>
> ~ is the opposite of @. But it can be any symbol we like. How about !@ ?
>

> Actually that would be a bad symbol pairing (the equals/notequals parallel
is not correct, A = B does not imply B != A). A better one would be if we
used >> and << since they are commutative relations.
> But that would break backwards compatibility which above you are telling
me is a big deal for the operators that people don't actually use!

> So, for sheer conservative curmudgoenliness, I would suggest we leave ~
and @ as they are.

Like I said if we can I would prefer to overload the = operator like ltree
does so I don't have to go around explaining why we have ~ and = which mean
the same thing but one uses an index and one doesn't.
Or you think there is a benefit there of keeping them separate?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/ltree.html