[postgis-devel] Call for 1.4.2 and 1.5.1

strk strk at keybit.net
Wed Feb 17 00:39:37 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:31:01AM +0000, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> strk wrote:
>
> >So, bottom line: the patch is already in 1.4 and 1.5 branches, the
> >sooner we'll get 1.4.2 and 1.5.1 out the least problem people will
> >have upgrading later.
>
> No, it's not. You still haven't fixed the real bug, which is why the
> parser is letting in an unclosed ring in the first place.

I guess we can debate this one.
What options would you have to clean unclosed rings if you have them
in a shapefile ? That's what you bought (let's assume). Maybe it is
a single geometry out of a whole lot. You go importing and the whole
set bails out due to an exception thrown by importer.
Not helpful, is it ?

After all isn't that invalidity comparable with other kind of
invalidities like self-intersections and such ? Shall we refuse
to import anything not valid ?

I think it makes more sense to let invalid geoms in and expose methods
to find invalids and clean them up.

  /\   http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html