[postgis-devel] Call for 1.4.2 and 1.5.1 (Handling of Invalid Geometries)

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Wed Feb 17 15:35:08 PST 2010

Well, so it's still invalid.  So what?  Bottom line is that someone
handed in garbage claiming it was a LinearRing.  They can't complain
about being told that no, it's actually garbage.

The idea is to allow more cases to enter the database in a graceful way,
without requiring a huge effort to check for bad structure throughout
the codebase.  There's no promise to perform magic.  There will always
be geometries which are so badly munged that they can't be made valid no
matter what.