[postgis-devel] I guess some people really want a VC++ compiled PostGIS

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jan 7 02:06:08 PST 2010

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> The MSI thing? I think the Win sysadm types in general like their
> MSI's since they are more scriptable. I mean, the same thing could be
> said about providing a "one click" installer for Linux... "huh? give
> me an RPM!" So, yeah. Ideally, there would be .deb for debian and .rpm
> for rhat and pkg for solaris and dmg for mac and msi for win32... but
> man, who has that kind of time!? :)

Yeah; the nice thing about MSIs is that Windows Administrators can
install them remotely across the network which requires administrator
privilege even if a normal user logs in. There's a lot to be said for that.

Possibly we could talk to the Debian and Red Hat guys about including a
debian/ directory and/or .spec file if it would help make upstream
packaging easier.

ATB,

M-D.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS