[postgis-devel] PostGIS 1.5 regression with GEOS 3.0.3

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Jan 12 11:07:20 PST 2010

Strk,
Maybe big warning for 3.1 and absolutely no for 3.0.3.

Honestly there is so much glue missing in 3.0.3 that more than half the
stuff that makes PostGIS 1.4 and PostGIS 1.5 great is disabled.  I figure if
you don't
want any of those missing features (e.g. Cascade Union, prepared geometry
etc), why bother upgrading from 1.3.  Save yourself the hassle?  I mean the
upgrade process from 1.3/1.4/1.5 is much more painful than upgrading GEOS.

Let us not forget the fact that even after you upgrade to 3.1 or 3.2 and
don't recompile your PostGIS, some of the new features are still disabled.

And what do you do when you recompile? run the upgrade script? because your
postgis 1.4/1.5 is still not the same great 1.4./1.5 that someone originally
compiling with GEOS 3.1/3.2 has.

Not to mention the headache of having to test said versions during our
testing cycles and all that hackish ifdef stuff that makes the code a bit
more difficult to read.
PostgreSQL 8.3/8.4/8.5  cross GEOS 3.0.3, GEOS 3.1.0, GEOS 3.2.0

 That is a lot of permutations.

Maybe I'm missing something not being intimately familiar enough with GEOS.
But it seems to me since GEOS 3.2.0 is backward compatible with GEOS
3.1.0/GEOS 3.0.3 why would it be an issue except for dependencies on other
applications which should be using a different so symlink or dll anyway if
they are that concerned about upgrade consequences.

Thanks,
Regina