[postgis-devel] 4D points

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 05:40:01 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM, David William Bitner
<david.bitner at gmail.com> wrote:
> 'm' is also very useful for adding time-of-observation information; in
> linear information (think vehicle tracks) often as an offset from a start
> time of the track.
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca>
> wrote:
>>
>> 'm' is 'measure' an extra axis of information not associated with the
>> cartesian x/y/z space. The most common use for 'measure' is actually
>> for 'measurements', the adding of physically known measurements about
>> a feature to the abstract 'feature' represented in x/y space in the
>> GIS. For example, highway management systems often understand the
>> location of facilities in terms of 'mile posts'. So, in addition to
>> x/y coordinates, each vertex is also assigned a 'mile' measurement in
>> 'm' which allows the system to accurately place facility information
>> relative to the 'milepost' system. (Why not just use the x/y
>> coordinates and calculate distances off of them? Because they are
>> representational, the distances calculated from the x/y will not be
>> the same as the actual milepost measurements.)
>>
>> P.

Ok, I understand. Is a general-purpose attribute related with each
point. It can store any additional information, like 'mile posts'
information or 'time-of-observation' information in vehicle tracks.
Reasonable and useful :-)

BTW, May I found a kind of "official" documentation of lwgeom library?
Apart from README file and comments on source files.

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Jorge