[postgis-devel] Proposing 1.5.0

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 05:58:17 PST 2010

Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I like the proj nad shift files in the postgis/ folder where they are now.
> The proj.dll is shared by all the Postgis installs on windows so it only
> makes sense to me to have them share the same nadshift files.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Ummm yes. If you look at that SetPROJ4LibPath(), you can see PostGIS is
hardcoded to look at that specific path for the grid shift files. If
they aren't in that specific directory then they won't get used -
although it may work for you in that I think from looking at the PROJ.4
code that it has a hard-coded C:\PROJ directory fallback. Thus if you
have other GIS software installed on your VM which installs its own grid
shift files under C:\PROJ then you may not notice :(

So if other words, if you change the path of the grid shift files in the
Win32 installer then you need to change the path in SetPROJ4LibPath() to
match - otherwise grid shifts will break for most people who don't have
other software installing their own DLL and associated files in C:\PROJ.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk