[postgis-devel] Making PostGIS documentation process easier

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jun 24 15:04:12 PDT 2010

I like the user comments idea.  As I recall, I think PostgreSQL uses DocBook
format as well and having a way for people to add comments at the end of
each reference function would be nice.

Pierre -- to add to what Olivier is saying.

The thing I like about DocBook is that its very structured, much more so
than wiki.  Then I'm in the database business because I'm a control freak
who is extremely lazy :).

a) This allows us to be able to autogenerate the postgres help comments
directly from the manual with a script.  Which is useful for quick help in
psql or PgAdmin

b) It also allows for autogeneration of test scripts and so forth from the
signature of the functions
C) It also allows for cross check.  E.g. if the postgres help doesn't
install, I know the documentation is wrong, or Paul broke something by
deciding he wanted to rename a function or delete it :)
D) It also allows for other kinds of things like the autogeneration of the
matrix of functions and all the MM compatibility, what's new sections are
all autogenerated.  - basically the whole chapter 8

http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/ch08.html

So in short there is a lot of autogeneration of indexes and so forth, that I
don't think would be possible or at least not as easy without a pure xml
format.  I also feel that Official documentation needs to be very structured

and enforce a strong level of consistency to be taken seriously which means
it can't be done by a huge committee or many hands without some level of
approval.  I guess I'm old fashioned in this respect.

Thanks,
Regina