[postgis-devel] Database Architecture

OscarUK oisink at btinternet.com
Tue May 4 01:39:51 PDT 2010

Hi forum users

Please note I am a novice user.

I wish to set up a very large PG database. For example, one 500x500km square
had 60 million lines and 25 million polygons. However, at any one time users
will be viewing or extracting only small areas, say 100m by 100m.

Because of the database size, I intend to break this down into various
schemas within a single database. Where I need to grab map extracts across
schemas, I hope to script views (or queries) on the fly that return the
required union between schemas.

My questions are therefore:

1.  Does this sound a sensible approach?
2.  How can I create a second schema that contains all the PG functions?
(When I create a new schema it contains no PG functions and I cannot work
out how to 'get them in').

Thanks in advance.

OscarUK