[postgis-devel] Postgis 2.0.0 experimental for PG9

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Oct 9 09:57:41 PDT 2010

Andrea,

If you can wait till Monday, that would be better.  I think the version up
there has the same issue you alerted us to in the 1.5.2 release.  We'll be
posting new windows 32-bit binaries for PostgreSQL 9.0, 9.1 alpha, and 8.4

 Thanks by the way for the bug report you game.  That was extremely helpful
to catch the issue early before many others were affected.

Regarding Paul's concern,  I figure the more people testing early on the
merrier as long as those testing early understand there will be breaking
changes so not really for production use yet.  I think it pretty much
follows the pattern of PostgreSQL releases where now they already have a
PostgreSQL 9.1 alpha release.

It would be nice to catch bugs in code even when they are not breaking
changes.  I think its even more important given the major changes happening
in the code base (not just breaking changes -- but tons of functions being
added for 3D  and Raster and index changes etc.)

Note to Paul,
 I think when we get close to feature completeness we should start labeling
the releases alpha x, 2 beta1, beta2 etc similar to what the PostgreSQL
group does.  Given this is such a major release, I would like to see us have
at least 4 betas before release.

Thanks,
Regina