[postgis-devel] Proposed changes to the rotate family of functions for PostGIS 2.0

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 10:11:16 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'd like to make some changes to the rotate family of functions for
the 2.0 release. In summary, it's related to
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2010-January/008405.html

My changes would include including extending ST_Rotate to allow a
custom origin. Also I'd like to introduce a ST_Rotate3D function to
allow more complicated 3D rotates, which effectively eliminate the
need for ST_Rotate[XYZ] functions (since I'm convinced they are not
usable for day-to-day work). I'd also update docs and test cases
related to the changes. Also, the scope of this work is limited to
geometries only (not rasters).

So my questions: is this too late for the 2.0 release? Should I write
up a RFC to discuss the changes (I noticed there are a few of these in
/doc/rfc)? Would this be welcome/unwelcome?

Also as a comment, I support PostgreSQL 9.0 as the new minimum version
for PostGIS 2.0. There is a growing number of functions that
effectively overload operators, and changes like what I propose only
add to the heap.

-Mike