[postgis-devel] Proposal to drop support for PostgreSQL 8.3 in PostGIS 2.0

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 13:10:30 PDT 2010

On 14 October 2010 11:15, strk <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> But still I think it's great for people running old software
> to be able to take a look of what postgis can do for them.

The same people running an old and stable postgres probably want a old
and stable PostGIS. The people wanting newer features in PostGIS are
probably the same wanting to newer features in postgres. I think that
the old-camp and new-camp of people couple their versions of postgres
and PostGIS. (Just a guess.)

I'd expect to see a few more releases of 1.5.x for anyone wanting to
maintain older databases with the latest bug fixes (if any). Support
for 8.3 ends in just over two years from now.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy

-Mike