[postgis-devel] current_parser_check_flags

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Oct 21 13:42:16 PDT 2010

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Except you say the checks are now 100% enforced in 1.5...
> Oh, and we relaxed the parser over time because people were getting
> i-can-put-it-in-but-cant-get-it-out errors...
> Double oh, probably we aren't seeing more bug reports because most of
> the people loading junk data were loading them through the shape
> loader and the wkb parser still has the checks in place.
> Hum hum hum. Regina, keeper of the torch of consistency?
> P.

Keeper of torch of consistency.  That sounds like a burden no human can
bear.

My concern -- as I recall the main issue with enforcing the check is that it
prevents people from upgrading from lower
versions of PostGIS.

If you came from say 1.3 or 1.2 and had bad data, the enforcer of good would
not let you pass thru the gates of heaven.

I think strk among other people got bitten by this thus was the need to
relax t this in 1.5.1 (or was it 1.5.2 or was it 1.4something).  So are we
saying the release of PostGIS 1.5.2 series reverted us back?

Then again I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about.

--- ON A SIDE NOTE:

I get the same error as Jorge and Mark when trying to compile trunk.

Paul,
 -- are you planning to remedy this in some way.

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/636

Thanks,

Regina