[postgis-devel] [raster] Architecture wiki document contribution

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:44:08 PDT 2010

In order to get my head back in the game after my absence, I manually
translated the architecture document into "TracWiki" format (it was just
html). This should make it easier to edit.

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRaster/SeamlessArchitecture

There was a very interesting request on the user list while I was gone (
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2011-July/030135.html):

Is there an easy (and efficient) way to run a query to get all of the
> coordinate points (x,y index) from within a raster that are contained in a
> polygon? That would be quite interesting for us if we still need to build
> our own solution on top of the existing functionality for performance
> purposes.

In relation to the "architecture" (and ISO 19123), they are asking for an
implementation of the "select" method on a coverage. (
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRaster/SeamlessArchitecture#Toplevelcoverage)
In our case, the user is asking for a "select" method on a grid (or
"raster"), which backs the coverage. This illustrates the advantage of using
19123 as a conceptual baseline: it anticipates many needs from a variety of
different use cases. We won't implement everything, but we can see where a
request fits into the big picture.

:)

Bryce