[postgis-devel] [raster] Strategizing and specifications

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:51:09 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> Sorry guys but I'm a bit oveloaded these days...
> I don't think you can access TOASTs from outside the db (if this is
> what you meant by a gdal driver). If the driver is inside you should
> be able to do that (does gdal allows hooking drivers dynamically?).

No sweat. I envision a GDAL driver from within the db (e.g., part of the C
code in the raster/ directory of the source tree) for use with code in
rt_api.c.

It actually seems that we should be able to "borrow" from the gdal MEM
driver already in place. Clearly, there is code which understands the header
information as well as the structure of the data buffer. As a matter of
fact, this task may be reduced to just modifying the existing MEM driver to
TOAST/DETOAST relevant slices as they are required/fall out of the cache.

Bryce