[postgis-devel] Routing Algorithms

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 06:39:53 PDT 2010

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Question for our PgRouting friends... see the comment trail on this
> post: http://blog.opengeo.org/2010/09/11/foss4g-2010-final-answer/
>
> Would moving the actual graph traversal code from PgRouting into GEOS
> make sense? Would the code sharing aspect outweigh the complexity of
> separating PgRouting that way?

Hmmmm I don't see why we couldn't add routing algorithms into GEOS - it
seems a bit redundant having both Boost and GEOS linked into the same
executable.

About liblwgeom, it would be interesting to spin it out into a separate
library that could be used by Ingres/PostgreSQL/whatever so that all of
the basic SQL-MM functions could be made available to other software. It
would also standardise the internal representation of geometries which
is also a good thing.

Paul: in terms of slugging data between C and C++, don't worry - just
pass pointers to arrays of doubles between the two and magic will happen.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk