[postgis-devel] Testing on Windows PostGIS 1RC1

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Sep 23 10:18:12 PDT 2010

Nicklas,

>  Regina, I saw in configure output when configuring postgresql that it
wasn't happy about the Perl version. It wanted a newer version.
> Can that be the reason that it didn't set the ${PERL} global. Your hack
seems to work for me to but can it affect something else if the version is
to low?
I didn't think so because it said that was only needed if you were compiling
from CVS and I was compiling from a tar ball.

Also the path was being filled, the problem was it was looking for Perl
somewhere in the postgresql folder.  I have no clue why.  Must be something
amiss in the pgxs config.
Perhaps as you said the fact it couldn't find the perl version it wanted
somehow screwed up the config for Perl.  So maybe I will try upgrading Perl
and see if the issue goes away.

>  But on that one I get the error:

> could not load library "c:/pg84/lib/postgresql/postgis-1.5.dll" unknown
error 126

> it puts "postgresql" into the path. Why? do you have that problem Regina?

My guess you are missing some dependencies.  1.5 depends on libxml (or not
depending on how you compile) - don't forget the other dependencies (geos,
libproj)
That need to be copied to postgresql bin folder.

My current build, I was able to make it compile dynamically against libxml
so  now PostGIS depends on libxml and it doesn't crash and is lighter
weight.

I haven't officially closed this out
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/273

because I still haven't figured out what switches I used to make this work
or if its sepcific to the computer.
All I know is that it is posslble and if I  use my pre-configured libxml
source on the machine I can't get to work right  (create a functionally
dynamically linked version) -  it works.

I compared the bad config against the good config.  The good config (one
that creates a dynamically linked libxml dll) -- has the word

-STATIC in it, yet it is not STATIC (the postgis-1.5.dll is obviously
dependent on it and much lighter when than when I disable shared)

So I'm still dumbfounded by the whole thing.

Thanks,
Regina