[postgis-devel] [geos-devel] Re: TopologyException makes GEOS/JTS very difficult...

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Wed Sep 29 10:50:28 PDT 2010

I'm crossing this over into PostGIS-devel, for some further input.

It seems to me that 90% of the the "Topology Exceptions" we see are the
result of invalid geometries. Would it make sense, somewhere in the
postgis-geos wrapper (or in "friendlier" API to GEOS/JTS), to catch
these and check the validity of the inputs, and if they are invalid,
return the "isValidReason()" output in a "InvalidGeometry Exception"?
This way we make it clear to the user what the problem is, because only
a very few of these problems actually come down to real floating point
or algorithm convergence issues.

It seems like Topology Exceptions are just too nebulous for users, while
on the mailing list it tends to be a race to see who can prove that the
inputs were invalid.

Also, it seems that in this case the invalid input might actually be an
output of another PostGIS function, likely ST_Collect? Certainly
ST_Collect can create an invalid multipolygon, if the input polygons are
overlapping. There are other functions that can create invalid outputs;
I think it was previously decided that this is acceptable - but perhaps
we need to document this with a big red warning in the docs so that
users are at least made aware of these potential pitfalls.

Thoughts?

Chris