[postgis-devel] PSC Vote to officially drop support for PostgreSQL 8.3 in PostGIS 2.0

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Apr 14 04:02:46 PDT 2011

I hereby call a PSC Vote to officially drop support for PostgreSQL 8.3 in
PostGIS 2.0.

I think enough has been said on the topic that it is clear to me PostgreSQL
8.3 is becoming a bit of a burden to maintain
for both regression testing and as well as having to hold back on features
introduced in newer versions of PostgreSQL.

With this official drop we will then be available to take advantage of

1) Window functions, CTES, variadic functions, RETURN QUERY EXECUTE, CASE in
pl/pgsql, EXECUTE using, user-defined exceptions,
  and a slew of other features itemized in PostgreSQL feature matrix
http://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix

2) Not have to regress test against 8.3 any longer
3) Get rid of the stupid hack we have in place for pgxs
4) Get rid of that conditional logic we have in place for aggregation to
handle versions that don't support windowing

This is just one step, but my more aggressive requirement which I shall put
in as a second PSC Vote, is to not support more than
3 versions of PostgreSQL on any version of PostGIS unless there are
extenuating circumstances.  More on that later.

All PSC voters, please give your vote.

+1
>From me.

Thanks,