[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] PSC Vote to officially drop support for PostgreSQL 8.3 in PostGIS 2.0

Magnus Hagander magnus at hagander.net
Fri Apr 22 09:42:38 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 02:57, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> Mark,
> Agree with Paul -- we did say all PSC should at least feel comfortable with
> our position and be able to defend it.  Though probably something we need to
> clarify in our voting rules.
>
> I've cc'd the regular users group since I feel they would be most affected
> by this decision and would like to hear their opinions on it.
>
> First let's keep things in perspective.  We are talking about not having
> support for PostgreSQL 8.3 for PostGIS 2.0.  We will still do our duty and
> support PostgreSQL 8.3 on PostGIS 1.3-1.5 and if we don't have to worry
> about also supporting it on 2.0, we'll have many more cycles to support
> issues that arise in 1.3-1.5.
>

> More food for thought -
> From all the signals I have seen, I just feel trying to support PostgreSQL
> 8.3 on PostGIS 2.0 is a really bad idea.

Something else to put this in perspective: once people start putting
PostGIS 2.0 in production, PostgreSQL 8.3 will be down to just over a
year of life, maybe a year and a half. That's not going to be a very
future-proof combination *regardless*.

And I don't believe any of the major long-term distributions were on
8.3 anyway - 8.1 for the old redhat and 8.4 for the new one, for
example...

So I doubt it's worth the cost to keep supporting 8.3. *Particularly*
if it limits the functionality of PostGIS to do so.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/