[postgis-devel] PostGIS capability in the context of High Performance computing, grid computing

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Wed Aug 3 11:52:53 PDT 2011

> From: Bryce L Nordgren <bnordgren at gmail.com>
> I've thought about this before, but it seems to me that in order to get much
> advantage out of the cloud, the geometric algorithms would have to be
> parallelized. Of course, I'm usually thinking in the space of very few
> queries each of which are difficult, rather than many simple queries.

  Bryce - I bet you are a super smart guy, but I think you missed the
mark here!
Brian Case and I have some some parallel experiments at Telascience in
San Diego.
We broke some problems down into parallel pieces, and then executed each one;
 recombine the results at the end.. Using stock postgres on linux as
it is right now..

Most of the problems had to do with analysis on grids.. the grids can
be square cells
or hex cells.. You could even break it down by region, if the regions
dont overlap.

and something else from last nights work.... :-)
Geocoding addresses.. a database is loaded into RAM, and I had four
cores running
from the same shared memory allocation, each independently doing geocoding.
It works perfectly!

  In Summary - some problems are decomposable into parallel chunks
With a little coordination, that can be done right now.. Rewriting the core
algorithms? I wouldn't hold my breath on that :-)

  best from Berkeley

==
Brian Hamlin
GeoCal