[postgis-devel] moving liblwgeom forward

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Aug 6 01:40:59 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 11:20:18AM -0700, Chris Hodgson wrote:
> Good to hear you've got some funding to do work on PostGIS!
>
> I'm a little bit worried about the effects of installing liblwgeom
> into the system lib dir on the ability to have multiple different
> versions of PostGIS installed simultaneously (for development,
> testing, migration, etc.). Tell me this won't be any different than
> it is now and I'll probably believe you.

For the safest case we can always choose to link statically against
liblwgeom, but having a different version for each library is also
a possibility (that's what we use for the C++ geos library, having a
version which is always incompatible with the previous so that each
C-API library links to its corresponding C++ lib).

> I can't imagine a situation where it makes sense for liblwgeom to
> have a different version than postgis. IIRC the only reason they are
> separated is to provide a C-based interface to test the liblwgeom
> functions without having to go through postgres.

Well, the idea is to push this even further to provide GEOS + Proj4
+ some extra stuff (MakeClean, ConcaveHull, ...) in a single package
for others to build on (spatialite, qgis, mysql, ...).

No problem making this an incremental process.

--strk;