[postgis-devel] liblwgeom.so, install-liblwgeom, uninstall-liblwgeom

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 02:56:29 PDT 2011

On 06/08/11 18:57, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> As of r7701 we have 3 new rules in liblwgeom/Makefile:
>
>   libwgeom.so       -- Will attempt to build a shared library whose SONAME
>                        is based on POSTGIS_MAJOR_VERSION
>
>   install-liblwgeom -- Will install the shared library under libdir (affected
>                        by --prefix, --exec-prefix and --libdir, and also
>                        honouring DESTDIR) with real-name formed by full
>                        postgis version triplet.
>
>   uninstall-liblwgeom -- Will uninstall the shared library.
>
> None of those rules are invoked by default.
> This is to have them for testing w/out breaking any existing use.
> I'd love to get failure tickets for builds on non-GNU systems.
> Even better I'd like patches :)
>
> Note that all postgis users (raster, postgis, cunit) are linking against
> the static (not shared) library.

I've just taken a look at this, and I think that if we're going to
switch from static to dynamic then we might as well just do it.
Otherwise we're not going to get the testing we require.

I also see that in r7701 you've dropped the use of libtool - I really
recommend against this. I know it has its own interesting quirks to work
around, but it does have the magic to make things work. Interestingly
enough the comment mentions libtool was dropped, but not why?

> TODO:
>   - Install the static library as well.

If you can get libtool to work then this bit will be handled automatically.

>   - Install an API header file (with some documentation).

Paul started some work on moving the private functions into a
liblwgeom_internal.h file so that liblwgeom.h is just the public API
file. It would be great to finish this section of work.

>   - Make sure it works on other systems.

That will probably have to wait until testing :)

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk