[postgis-devel] [raster] About recent commit r8313

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Dec 7 09:49:34 PST 2011

Folks,

If I may, I'd like to gently complain about the recent change in the
raster part:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/changeset/8313

Do we really want this change?
In my opinion, it is not a good idea for the best performance possible.

The natural block concept is there for purpose and operating on larger strips
performs better.

I had a quick talk with Frank and, I hope Frank does not mind me quoting him,
there is another issue:

"It was my understanding/hope that postgis raster would be highly optimized
for the postgis regular blocking case and I had hoped that in at least
some cases that
would be setup to map 1:1 to regular blocking in source or destination
GDAL files.
This certainly discards any hope of such optimization in this api."

Best regards,