[postgis-devel] [raster] About recent commit r8313

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Wed Dec 7 10:13:45 PST 2011

I listened with some surprise to the earlier discussions about removing
regular blocking, but remained silent as I didn't have the time to
really think about it. But I'd like to lend my support to Mateusz's
complaint... is it truly wise to throw away the opportunity to optimize
this case? In my work with rasters, all of the other "random bunch of
rasters" use cases are just a stepping stone on the way to "the one"
complete, regularly blocked/tiled dataset. The regularly blocked raster
is the one that needs to be fastest, as it is the one that end users
would be most likely to render maps from. Plus, it is the one with the
most potential for optimization. Frank's a pretty smart guy, he's been
doing rasters since before PostGIS was a gleam in our collective eye, I
wouldn't bet against him on this.

Chris