[postgis-devel] GML for empty geometries ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Dec 14 10:47:23 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 09:18:09AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not fond of XML Schemas so don't really know what I'm talking about.
> > Is 'POINT EMPTY' legal WKT ?
>
> Based on 30 seconds of research I'd say go with NULL as the return for
> empty geometries.
> Yes, 'POINT EMPTY' (and all the other typological variants) is legal
> in WKT. (But the concept of EMPTY appears completely ignored in all
> discussions of WKB.) (Standards rule.)

It strikes me that a valid entity can't be represented in all formats
published by the same authority.

I filed a ticket to revert the work I did on making nice empty
GML geoms: http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1377 even if I'd
prefer to invent our own and bend ST_GeomFromGML into supporting
them :)