[postgis-devel] Vote to call Feature Freeze, SRID=0, and officially tag the first alpha

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Dec 21 01:56:43 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 06:43:37PM -0500, Paragon Corporation wrote:
> I think enough people are using PostGIS 2.0.0 that its about time to put out
> an official alpha 1 and also call feature freeze.
>
> By feature freeze, I mean anything that is not alright in our trac will have
> to wait or anything that will require anyone already running the latest
> PostGIS 2.0.0 development to do a full dump reload will also have to wait.
> The only exception is if we find a critical issue that requires us to make
> changes that require a dump reload.
>

> +1 feature freeze
> +1 SRID=0 be unknown (hey most of our code is already coded that way and
> more people are whining about how we haven't made an official decision than
> what decision we make.  I suspect many e.g GDAL have already made provisions
> for this change, and many other tools don't even work with unknown SRIDs)
> +1 tag the first official alpha

+1 for SRID=0

+0 for alpha

Would postpone after triaging reduces tickets targetted at 2.0
to not more than 10...

Also, about dump-reload, I'd like to make _very_sure_ that our
serialized format has space for encoding a version and that such
version is guaranteed to be 0. This might make it easier to deal
with later conversions (doing them in-db).

+0.99 for feature freeze with exception of ticketed

One concern about this is the improved box type idea.
I dont' know yet if we have the resources to deal with that yet,
but would like it to have at least a chance. I'm easily convinced
to postpone this to 2.1. Also, we can pretend that ticket #1329 is
about this so it is in already.

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1329

--strk;