[postgis-devel] Uninstall machinery report

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Dec 24 03:32:45 PST 2011

Status report on the uninstall machinery.

1) The over-5-years-old util/create_undef.pl script was improved and renewed
   to be able to create uninstall scripts for all core components:
   postgis.sql, rtpostgis.sql, topology.sql

2) The run_test script will now test the uninstall scripts by counting
   database objects before installation and after uninstallation.
   It will work with any combination of --topology and --raster switches.

3) All of the above has been tested against PostgreSQL 8.4.9 and 9.1.2

So now if you have any complains about what the uninstall_* should or
should not do, keep in mind that the only thing to change is the
create_undef.pl script.

In particular, it's been reported that the "CASCADE" side of things isn't
appreciated, at least for types, because it would wipe out user data.

Last time I checked it was impossible to drop a C-implemented type w/out
a CASCADE in that type output function depend on the type while the type
depends on output function, in a circular fashion. If anyone knows how to
solve that circle please let me know and we'll see how to automate that.

--strk;