[postgis-devel] gml:Face and ISO Face discrepancy

strk strk at keybit.net
Fri Jan 28 06:20:21 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 06:51:52PM +0100, strk wrote:

> In particular, it seems like you can NOT represent a polygon
> with an hole using a single <gml:Face> tag.
>
> I'm hoping to be proved wrong here. Can anyone ?

Me !

According to OGC 03-105r1 - ISO/CD 19136:

 << The topological boundary of a face consists of a set of directed edges.
    Note that all edges associated with the face, including dangling edges,
    appear in the boundary. >>

And:

 << The non-dangling edges in the boundary of a face comprise one or
    more topological rings.  Each such ring consists of directedEdges
    connected in a cycle, and is oriented with the face on its left. >>

So, it looks like it _is_ possible to map our primitive faces
with gml:Face tags.

Now I wonder what's the real meaning of gml:orientedFace sign inside
the definition of a gml:TopoSurface ...