[postgis-devel] Geometry_columns now a view, some things still broken

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Jul 2 13:34:57 PDT 2011

Geometry_columns has now been switched to a view and I have revised all the
management functions to not update it anymore and also to use typmod for
default behavior.
Some things are broken -- such as seems to be some tymod soupport lacking
for some curved geometries or I don't know what the mapping should be.

Also I introduced some errors in the management functions that I am
ticketing and fixing as I go along.

Given how many people seem to directly delete / update geometry_columns, I'm
contemplating putting in dummy insert/update/delete  rules that do nothing
in the legacy.sql install file.
This way people who have logic like that and can't easily change it, will
not get errors and the update requests will be simply ignored.

 Several regress tests we had I had to remove those calls in fact so I think
it will be a pervasive problem especially for experienced PostGIS users.

Does any one have issue with me doing that?

Thanks,
Regina