[postgis-devel] RFC: Remove mmin and mmax from GBOX

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 02:45:56 PDT 2011

On 07/07/11 10:37, Sandro Santilli wrote:

>> Indexing derived units in this way does not make sense
>
> What if I want to get the list of regions where the average number
> of mosquitos per year is between  5000 and 10000 ?

If you are starting to ask those type of queries, then M is not an
appropriate place for this data - you would spin it out into a separate
column within your table and index it appropriately there. Then the
PostgreSQL planner has a lot more information to be able to choose a
better query plan.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS