[postgis-devel] PostGIS proj default path change

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Jun 10 14:20:38 PDT 2011

Mark,

Your opinion would be appreciated in this matter and of course I guess all
PSC have to vote on it since it's a packaging change.

I was thinking about how you said proj libraries should be installed in a
versioned folder under

Postgis-2.0
    proj

For example

Right now we have

postgis
   proj
postgis-1.5
postgis-2.0.

Which was sort of nice since proj shift files are a bit hefty and it allowed
all installs to share the same proj file.

With proj 4.7 -- the naming now defaults to libproj-0.dll which would mean
we could have postgis-1.. Using a different proj from Postgis-2  branch (at
least for windows anyway)

But I wouldn't want them using the same proj files.  So if you want, we
could change the search location to what you asked for a long time ago

postgis-2.0
   proj

What do people think about that change.  That would also fix the gdal issue
of not having to register libprojso since it defaults to libproj-0.dll
anyway.

So for people who are not sure what I'm talking about, I'm proposing to
change this line

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/browser/trunk/postgis/lwgeom_transform.c#L602

To go in versioned postgis folder.

So change from
strncat(path, "/contrib/postgis/proj", MAXPGPATH - strlen(path) - 1);

strncat(path, "/contrib/postgis-whatever_psotgis_version/proj", MAXPGPATH -
strlen(path) - 1);