[postgis-devel] 1.5.3rc1

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jun 16 21:02:26 PDT 2011

Okay we tested with the tar ball.  Tar ball looks good.

Works on our windows dev box against

PostgreSQL 8.4.7, PostgreSQL 9.0.2 VC++ builds

And regress tests pass

However we are having a  battle getting the postgresql tests to pass on
PostgreSQL 8.3.  I think this has more to do with the way Iwe are testing
and some path setting we are missing than anything wrong with the packaging.

For 8.4, 9.0 we are testing against the Enterprise Db VC++ builds, however
the 8.3 Enterprise Db builds are no longer available on the site, and we
have long since uninstalled that version from all our servers.

Anyrate the 8.3 postgis-1.5.dll  builds, we just can't really test it at the
moment and looking at the dependency doesn't give a clue as to what is
missing.

----- TO WINDOWS USERS ---
We'll put up the binaries in the next day or so for all 3, and if anyone
with a PostgreSQL 8.3 install can confirm the binaries work okay, that would
be great
-----

One other question and this is more of a question to Windows users:

Does anyone mind if we package geos-3.3.0 instead of geos-3.2.2?

Normally we package the latest minor of whatever release, but this poses
problems if you have multiple PostGIS versions on the same PostgreSQL
service in different databases.

So if you are running PostGIS 1.5 or 1.4 and you are also running PostGIS
2.0 (development or final when it comes out),

1) The PostGIS 1.5 upgrade or PostGIS 1.4 upgrade would break your existing
PostGIS 2.0 since they share the same GEOS and the newer PostGIS would cough
up at an older GEOS.

2) The other reason is that non-critical performance only fixes are rarely
backported to older GEOS.  So for example improvements in topological errors
etc. you would miss out with a GEOS 3.2.

The only reason to package a geos-3.2 instead of geos-3.3 is since there is
less change, there is less chance of things like speed differences minor
output differences adversely affecting you.

Thanks,
Regina and Leo
http://www.postgis.us