[postgis-devel] Geography extending past 180

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Jun 17 19:47:35 PDT 2011

I forgot is this one of the fixes we did in 1.5.3?

http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/145-PgAdmin-III-Plug-in-Regis
tration-PostGIS-Shapefile-and-DBF-Loader.html#c3411

"Hi Regina--I've just spent the better part of the day struggling with this
myself. My world map edited in ArcMap had coordinates from -180.01 to
180.01, and would not upload. Here's what finally worked: I made a polygon
rectangle from -179.999 to 179.999 lon, and from -89 to 89 lat. I then
clipped my map using the rectangle, choosing the "preserve intersecting
area" option. This got rid of the map area beyond -180 and 180; I was able
to upload the resulting shapefile easily.

FWIW, this is a frustrating limitation of the geography data type, since
ArcMap apparently extends coordinates beyond 180 without asking or being
asked. "

Sarah

That's the second time I've got a complaint about this on this thread.

As far as PostGIS 1.5.3 goes -- Paul you waiting for anything else?  We were
just going to  release 1.5.3rc1 windows binaries if you are still waiting
for people to test on other platforms.
If release is eminent then we'll release the official 1.5.3 windows binaries
and then start building the stack builder installs.

Thanks,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us