[postgis-devel] The Complexity of Seamless Operations

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 10:19:22 PDT 2011

Added a section to my architecture wiki page on mapping information types
(pure spatial vs. spatial+value) to data types (geometry, geomval, raster).
Even in the simple case of an operation which takes two "purely spatial"
inputs and returns a "purely spatial" output, a typical "vector-only" GIS
implements one eighth of the functionality of a fully seamless system.

https://collab.firelab.org/software/projects/modisfire/wiki/Seamless_spatial_operations_architecture#Expected-Results-and-Information-types

I'm just thinking into the wiki here, but if it's something you think is
valuable, I can move it to the PostGIS wiki so other people can contribute.

Bryce