[postgis-devel] [raster] Memory management and IO concerns

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 05:07:26 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland <
mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:

> Perhaps the raster team need to start looking at the large objects API
> instead: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/largeobjects.htmlwhich effectively gives you an independent database object accessible
> through a file handle-like API. Hence you can seek to an absolute position
> and then just read the parts of the image you are interested in.

I agree. Then have a server side GDAL driver do the seeking, reading and
writing when executing SQL queries. It then seems like creating and
maintaining a "client library" would also be implied, for those who wish to
access and manipulate rasters via a client connection. This client library
may leverage the same GDAL driver that the server side uses.

It does appear that "large objects" are capped at 2GB, though.

Bryce